More Regarding Academia: New Book on IEPs & Guest Speaker

Meeting roomMeeting room (Photo credit: Wikipedia)






As I said in a recent post, one of the really cool perks of writing this blog is that great thinkers in special education law send me useful stuff. This happened again recently.  My friends Barbara Bateman and Mary Anne Linden recently sent me a copy of the new edition of their book, Better IEPs: How to Develop legally Correct and Educationally Useful Programs (Verona, Wisconsin: Attainment Company, Inc. 2012).

A number of my other friends have described this book as the Bible on how to write an IEP.  I have reviewed it, and I agree.  If you are a member of an IEP team (and many of the readers of this blog are), you should have a copy of this book. It explains the IEP process in great detail, and it explains how to write a good one.  I'm happy to have it as another great resource.

Once again, however as a good mediator/hearing officer/consultant, I must reveal a bias.  I know Barb and Mary Anne.  Also, I am impressed that the new edition of this very important book favorably mentions my recent presentation on service animals at the Seattle University Academy for IDEA Hearing Officers.  In addition, the authors generously list this blog as one of the resources suggested to their readers in the resource Appendix.  So obviously, I like these folks.

On a different subject, I was honored by  my friend Professor Sarah Redfield. She asked me to address her special education law class at the University of New Hampshire School of Law this week. In my opinion, there aren't enough law schools that offer classes in this ever-growing field of law.  The students asked a number of excellent questions, and as those of you who have seen me as a presenter know, I love interaction with my audience.  It was a great experience and a chance for me to think some more about the issues concerning dispute resolution and special education law. Thanks!
Enhanced by Zemanta